Downtown-Chic

Life. Men. Alcohol. Shoes.

Thursday, November 16

Growth Spurt

New job = new health insurance.

Earlier this week, I met my new lady doctor for the first time. Since this was our first meeting, we covered all the basics -- family history, personal history, etc…

A bit of background. I take serious issue with my height. I've been 5'3 since high school. I have dreams of being tall -- 5'7 -- that's heaven. Which explains why I’m always in heels, always. I know my insistence upon all-heels-all-the-time is condemning me to a future filled with bunions, hammertoes or possibly worse. But my desire to project an appearance of height outweighs all future health concerns.

So, the doctor measures me and quickly reports back - 5’4. I made her measure me twice just to be sure. It is true, I am tall... Now with my heels on, I'm right in the sweet spot of 5'7.


Do we keep growing in our 20's? I'm not sure, but the doctor mentioned that my mini-obsession with
Bikram Yoga may have contributed to my new height. All those spine-lenghtening exercises... That’s the best incentive ever to make it to class.

4 Comments:

At 8:01 PM, Blogger t said...

Yes, it can happen. Jockey Chris Antley had one at age 26. He was less than pleased, however:

Chris Antley had become notorious for his bravado, aggression, and drug and alcohol abuse. He’d won the Derby in 1992 but was so strung out he didn’t remember crossing the wire. Then, at age twenty-six, Antley experienced a jockey’s nightmare: a growth spurt. He grew an inch and a half and gained fifteen pounds over the next six years.

 
At 1:22 AM, Blogger jo said...

that would be so great. i've never actually had a growth spurt. i just grew steadily for longer than other people. and while i'm not short, i would still love to grow a bit more.

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

congrats on the 1 inch! that is a big deal!

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger *krystyn* said...

I'm 5'4" as well and YES, 5'7" would be a dream come true!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home