Downtown-Chic

Life. Men. Alcohol. Shoes.

Tuesday, October 24

Saturday night, I found myself walking into the Landmark Loew’s Jersey Theatre in Journal Square to attend a Beck concert. First off, the theatre is the most spectacular, classic venue – which every New Yorker should leave the isle to visit. Think of it as Jersey’s version of Radio City Music Hall (without all the pretension).

Pre-gaming before the show, my friend joked that I couldn’t name five Beck songs. (Loser... Devil’s Haircut… Where It’s At… The New Pollution... uh, uh, uh… Damn! Stuck at four) Despite my lackluster skills at naming Beck tunes – the concert was simply ridiculous.

First off, there was the "Team-America-esque" puppet show which mimicked everything the band did. Completely captivating! Especially when band members would interact with “their” respective puppets.

As a sucker for any drum/percussion solo … my favorite part of the show occured mid-way through when Beck took center stage and played a few solo acoustic tunes. Meanwhile, his band mates dined on stage. At first, it appeared an interesting way to add life (or visual distraction) during the slow, mellow set. Unexpectedly, the band started clinking their silverware, glasses and plates, crescendoing into Beck’s “Clap Hands.” Even my guy friends who stand staunch and solid during even the funky James Brown tune were bopping their heads.

Until I learn how to upload UTube Videos, view "Clap Hands" here...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qVVNwe_d28g

So fun! I would do it again in a heartbeat. It was the best $35 I've spent in a LONG time...




1 Comments:

At 9:35 PM, Blogger NotCarrie said...

Oh what fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home