Downtown-Chic

Life. Men. Alcohol. Shoes.

Monday, February 26

Break-up Rules

There are few things more rewarding than when an ex tries to contact you and you give them the screen. For the last month, The Producer has tryed to reach me...

Attempt One:
The Street Encounter
Attempt Two: The email - Received nearly a month after
the talk, I was initially unsure if I wanted to respond. So I bought myself some time by firing off a faux-out of the office response. After contemplating his email for a weekend, I decided a response was unnecessary. Delete.
Attempt Three: Valentine’s Day text - So what time is the six-foot teddy bear arriving at my house.

While I’m not a gal who plays by “The Rules,” I have 3 hard and fast rules when it comes to relationships:

  1. There is no such thing as breaking up and getting back together again. While I do love hearing about dramatic break-ups -- ringing doorbells at 4AM, fiery public displays of affection/annoyance/hatred, etc…) I consider this a vicious cycle which becomes a commonplace way of handling all problems in the relationship. Take the hint and walk away, saving time on Rule #2
  2. To fully get over someone, it takes half the time of the relationship
  3. Once that half-time has passed, you and the old-flame return to the state of your pre-relationship relationship. If you were friends, you stay friends. If you skipped the friend stage and went straight to relationship, then that person doesn’t exist to you.

Having the upper hand is absolutely refreshing.

I realize that since we have similar friends, one of these days we'll be in the same place, at the same time... When that happens, it happens.... But I am not going to be forcing it, or responding to any of his really lame contact attempts.

4 Comments:

At 11:40 AM, Blogger Frankly, Scarlett said...

OOOOO I completely agree!

Did he REALLY text you about a six-foot teddy bear?

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger Single guy blogging said...

Geesh - you'd think he would get the hint! I'm with you, once you break up, it's over.

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger *Red said...

These "rules" seem so simple, yet so hard to follow. Why can't they just disappear into a black hole somewhere? It would make life so much easier.

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger paintandink said...

Totally agree on the no second chances rule. It keeps you from looking like a fool (regardless of who actually ended the relationship), it makes the recovery time much shorter, and there is great satisfaction in seeing someone's disappointment when they realize what they lost.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home