Downtown-Chic

Life. Men. Alcohol. Shoes.

Monday, December 18

My Blog Makes Me Smarter

Sometimes I reread my posts and I see right through myself. Last week, I wrote this. After disappointing behavior by The Producer on Saturday evening at my friend's birthday party, I spent a hungover morning in bed with the book that nearly every girl has read, but refuses to admit to. Let's reevaluate the problems with last week's post...

Problem #1: …eyeing the Producer and me ask, "So are you two together?"… he would make a crack about us between the sheets.

Problem #2: Despite the fact that she said these words very loudly and very clearly - neither he nor I acknowledged them...

Problem #3: … settled into a very comfortable groove

What’s in a word? A lot. Trust, commitment and expectations to name a few. Between my posts and the book, I had a moment of clarity. I placed the call at 1PM on Sunday, “Are you free to meet for coffee?” (In the world of relationships, this phrase translates to -- we are going to break up, prepare yourself -- cause no couple ever legitimately meets for coffee.)


We met. We talked. I walked.

He emailed this morning, I responded: “Clarity is refreshing.” Then I deleted each and every email he's sent in the past six months and put an automatic delete on his address.

5 Comments:

At 12:57 PM, Blogger MonkeyPants said...

I don't think it's a matter of refusing to admit to reading so much as refusing to believe that women needed this book. We all know [insert title] but as women we prefer to stay positive and always give the benefit of the doubt even though there is that nagging voice in our head. Otherwise I think we'd all be bitter and jaded. We didn't need it and I feel that book is very condescending and unhelpful. And if one more person ever suggests I read it like it's some sort of cutting-edge idea, I'm going to scream.

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger Blogger Namely said...

"I don't think it's a matter of refusing to admit to reading so much as refusing to believe that women needed this book."

God, THANK YOU!

I was just saying the same thing about The Rules. I wrote a post abotu a woman who accepted a date from a guy who called her at 9:30 at night whom she met online and hadn't heard from in awhile.

My take was you never accept a last minuet date because it's disrespectful and lets them think they can treat you in that manner...as an afterthought. I said if she must go out with him go for one drink and then make an excuse to leave. I was accused of encouraging women to play games a la The Rules.

Did we really need a book to tell us we should have standards?

Sex & Moxie
http://www.moxieblog.typepad.com

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Mummerina said...

omg good on you!!
you are sooo strong!!!

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger Clink said...

Wow. You're a hero to my 20 year old self who was in a very similar situation but didn't have the balls to walk away. Seriously. Awesome.

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Downtown said...

Karina & Clink: Yes, that was a rather strong thing to do. However, now that the initial "yeah me!" buzz has worn off, and the reality of being completely and utterly single again is sinking in, this kinda sucks.

Chris and Monkey: Come on, you are both being a little tough on the book. True -- it should not be read cover to cover. But sometimes, just sometimes, it helps to have something bang you over the head and tell you to move on... My lady friends had been telling me that for months, but I wasn't listening.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home