Downtown-Chic

Life. Men. Alcohol. Shoes.

Friday, February 9

Tax Season


Every year, I use Turbo Tax to process my tax return. It is easy, quick and with electronic returns and direct deposit, I have a couple thousand dollars in my bank account in a matter of days.

However, this year my industry friends are buzzing about a particular tax guy who specializes in returns for the PR/Marketing gal. Apparently, he has perfected the “formula” which takes into consideration every possible deduction and he doubles most everyone’s tax return. This guy has the stamp of approval from the heads of top NY marketing agencies and his calendar is booked nearly through tax season.


A friend just offered me her appointment.

I’m tempted. I can almost feel the $4K in my pocket. Then my delirious happiness, is interrupted by a nagging fear of the IRS. What if I get audited? Is this guy legitimate? I haven’t kept a receipt in years…

If I were a bolder individual, I would accept the appointment and take the $4K without question. However, considering that the IRS has something like six years to audit you, I just might play it safe.
Although that $4K would be magnificent...

4 Comments:

At 12:25 PM, Blogger MonkeyPants said...

I think it's 3 years to audit you. I got audited last year for too many deductions for my 2003 taxes. I fought it, got the initial penalty of 2600 down to 1700 but it still stung. I believe 1700 was as much as I'd even gotten back from the IRS in the first place so... that sucked. I don't know, at this point I'm walking the straight and narrow.

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger Silvs said...

Well, there is a guy I know, and he charges 150... but he can get anyone 4,000 back. even me. (I have no kids)

so... I'm going to him! yaay!

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger NotCarrie said...

The only think I know about taxes, is that I never get much back and usually have to pay:(

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger *krystyn* said...

So - did you take the appointment or no?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home