Downtown-Chic

Life. Men. Alcohol. Shoes.

Thursday, May 17

Add to your NetFlix Cue....

Doing my dutiful daughter duties, I called my mom on Mother’s Day. As we’re talking about the wedding of a family friend, my mom says “I really miss [your ex-boyfriend].” My response, "Yeah, me too."

(Background: This is my last
serious ex. We were high school friends who reconnected at a mutual friend’s wedding. After dating for nearly two years, I thought this guy was “the” guy. I nearly moved out of Manhattan to quaint New England to give it a real chance. Then we broke up.)

In this frame of mind, when HBO began playing
The Break Up I settled in to watch. The movie isn’t spectacular, but there is one particularly redeeming scene. Jennifer Aniston is in her room and Vince Vaughn walks in to apologize for standing her up earlier in the night. When he notices she’s crying he starts walking toward her. She starts crying harder, tells him to stop, and lets him know how much he had disappointed her. Then she tells him to leave her room, which he does and at that point their relationship is effectively over. (Yeah, it made me cry - after all I was in that frame of mind.)

Seriously, the whole scene made me realize that men and women speak completely different languages. In that scene, Vince should have walked over and hugged her. A big bear hug, not one of those wimpy, limp arms hugs. It was so obvious to me that if he had done this, their relationship wouldn't have ended, and they possibly could have had a civilied conversation about everything that was wrong with them... I'm sure his man-brain thought it was the right thing to do, but to the female mind, it was wrong, wrong, wrong.


Guys needs to read between the lines sometimes.

6 Comments:

At 2:59 PM, Blogger Scotty said...

“I really miss [your ex-boyfriend].” reminded me of something.

My last serious ex had a younger brother, he is 10. After we had broken up (her decision), he sent me a card thanking me for his Christmas gift.

At the bottom he wrote, "P.S. [Ex] should have kept you."

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger Downtown said...

For real? For real?

That is the sweetest thing I've ever heard and if you had told me that story on Sunday night (when I was watching the Break Up and sniffling) I probably would have cried a bit harder...

At least someone knew what was right.

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Scotty said...

Yep yep, for real..

It was kinda weird though, because it made me feel really good that he would actually write that (he is 10 after all), but that the same time made me feel bad that we weren't together. And this didn't make things any easier!

But, I guess everything happens for a reason... so we move on :)

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger paintandink said...

Yes, exactly, to this post. Different languages, entirely.

 
At 12:15 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 12:17 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I also saw this movie really we can understand that how differently men and women think in same situation. Must see it..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home