Downtown-Chic

Life. Men. Alcohol. Shoes.

Wednesday, May 16

Crocs

I really don’t understand trends which stem from the mid-west. (Neither does Elle). In particular, I’m having an impossible time understanding people’s fascination with crocs.

Really? Plastic shoes?
Really? That color?
Really? It goes with “everything” in your closet?

When I first saw them on teenage boys in Albany, New York a couple years back, I figured it was an upstate thing. Then I started seeing them on small children. I justified it that these poor children were obviously at the whim of their parents. Then suddenly they were everywhere! Couples were wearing matching pairs. Old folks. Young folks. Teenagers. Babies. East Coast. West Coast. Ugh -- at Jazz Fest, there were nearly as popular at the soft shell crab po-boys.

This could be the worst thing to happen to footwear fashion since penny loafers. I hope the trend passes soon, although I just noticed they are selling in Bloomingdales AND there is rumor of a Crocs-only store opening in Manhattan.

The Horror!

Side Note: Yes, I’ve been neglecting my blog these past months, but it has been worth it. I’ve reached a level of career defining success which I hadn't really planned on. Here’s hoping the good-will in the office toward myself carries on through the summer, at the very least until my annual review.

5 Comments:

At 12:50 PM, Blogger *krystyn* said...

I just cannot get into CROCS either! :-)

Congrats on your career success.

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger paintandink said...

So glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks those shoes are odd... although they just might be useful in getting the paper from the wet grass in the morning.

Best of luck with the career success!

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger Silvs said...

I read your blog all the time. And I too thought, those shoes are odd. But then, I went on vacation, had heels on.. feet killing me ..and ... Here goes ....... I got a pair ...!!!

Omg! I can walk all of Manhattan with them on .. They feel soo great!! I mean everytime I look down, my feet look like a giant frogs ... (I got green ones) I just had to come back and tell you!! lol

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Caitlyn said...

I absolutely loathe those shoes. What's worse is that they sell accessories to decorate them- little pins that you can stick in the holes to individualize them. As if they weren't ugly enough.

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger Noemie said...

These shoes are so ugly! They must be VERY comfortable, but why not make them cuter while not losing their comfiness. Are they cheap? They look to be. I have no idea. I'd rather get some affordable, comfy, non hideous shoes, can't be that hard to find. Although if they were there, and I needed some shoes to do some chore I'd wear them, im just not gonna go out and buy them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home