Downtown-Chic

Life. Men. Alcohol. Shoes.

Tuesday, November 28

I'm a complete sucker for Christmas lights during the holiday season. There is nothing quite like shooting down a quiet, dark suburban street when suddenly you come upon a house ablaze with Christmas lights. It is so warm and inviting... You find yourself slowing down and pausing to look and praise (or critique) the owner's lighting choices.

My home has never been the flashiest on the block, but in my mind it has always been the classiest. White candle lights in each window. An over sized holiday wreath at the front of the house with a red bow and white candle light. A holiday wreath on the front door and the back bay window which overlooks the rest of the neighborhood filled by a lit Christmas tree. Simple. Sophisticated.

My personal preference are small bulbed white lights. No color, no flashing. However, on occasion, I see purpose and use for the large colored bulbs for outdoor decorations.

When I was in college, lit-icicles appeared on the scene. These were usually done in good taste covering the complete front expanse of the roof. However there is always that one neighbor who feels it is enough to only "icicle" part of the roof, or just the windows. This is a heinous. And should be avoided. If you can't spring for an extra box of icicles, perhaps you should also reconsider any lights at all - after all electricity costs money as well...

This year, however, I have seen the worst. There no way it can get worse.


Inflatable, Animated, Snow Globe Lawn Decorations.

They are everywhere! They are heinous! After viewing the price tag on these suckers ($200), I find it ironic that these eye-sores appear on the lawns of houses which appear to be most in neglect. Due to their limited availability, the police department in my small hometown is now forced to canvas the houses which have these eye-sores to watch for burglars.

Honestly, for the sake of good taste, I can only hope that our desire for something bigger, brighter and more eye catching than our neighbor comes to an end soon. I can't imagine a holiday decorating fate worse than this...

3 Comments:

At 1:11 AM, Blogger jo said...

i love christmas lights. which reminds me that i really need to get to town and take some pics of the decoration lights.

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger NotCarrie said...

Haha, I love lights, too...those lawn things are WEIRD, though.

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger Crashdummie said...

Hmm I guess the firemen will be working overtime this christmas....

Decoration should be classy and sophisticated, or maybe with a personal touch - it shouldn't look like santas lil' elfs workshop has exploded!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home