Downtown-Chic

Life. Men. Alcohol. Shoes.

Wednesday, August 30

Overcoming a hangover

Age increases pain, length, and symptoms.

In college I drank like a fish six nights a week and still made it to class... These days a couple bottles of wine has me nearly incapacitated the next day. My body aches, my head hurts, there is shooting pain behind my eye, waves of nausea. My hangovers used to lift around 3pm, then it was 4pm, now I find myself still dragging as late at 7pm. Nearing the edge of 30, not only are the hangovers worse, but it is less acceptable to call into work feigning sick. So I needed to upgrade my methods of coping.

(Yes, I probably should drink less, but that equates to less fun.)

For years, I've relied on a mix of the following four solutions to a hangover. They've been tested and are tried and true methods for coping:


1) Treat in morning w/ water and Advil liquid-gels (These work a crucial 18 minutes faster)
2) Treat at night w/ water and Advil liquid-gels
3) Lounge on couch watching TNT, sleeping intermittently
4) Fast greasy food


As I age, I find these four options are less and less successful at eliminating my pain. So I decided to try something new -- sweating it out at the gym.

I’ve always been incredible skeptical of “the gym” = “hangover relief”. Getting to the gym was torture; as I walking there I questioned my sanity. After 20 minutes on the elliptical, things began to change, my self-hatred to drinking too much the night before began to lift. There was a slight downturn around minute 30 when nausea set in. Around minute 36, as I was planning my escape route to the bathroom, the nausea lifted and I felt like a whole person, a person who didn’t drink 3.5 bottles of wine the evening before… I kept it up for 45 minutes – at which time I wimped out and stopped

This was hardly a back breaking workout; I covered half the ground of a my usualy workout, but I did it. And the next time I find myself with a hangover, I just might do it again.

7 Comments:

At 6:26 PM, Blogger Mummerina said...

I feel your pain!!! And I'm only 21!!!! (Drinking is legal from 18 in AUS)... I used to go out 4 nights in a row...now after one big night I'm down and out for the rest of the weekend.

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger jo said...

few years ago i used to be out drinking consistently for 4 nights a week with 2 of 'em nights staying out till dawn.

ahh those were the days... now i just throw in the towel by 3am haha!

i can't say that i've ever even thought of the gym as a hangover relief... and my gym is so far away from home that it's gonna take a lot of effort for me to haul my butt outta my comfy bed and work out.

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Frankly, Scarlett said...

I used to close down bars regularly and be bright eyed-and bushy-tailed the next day!

Ya...not so much anymore.Is my tollerance going down? My need for sleep increasing? Ugh - age is a terrible thing sometimes.


Have you ever tried any of those hangover pills? Do you think they work?

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger Dolly said...

Yes, I've heard that's a great hangover cure, because your body burns through all the alcohol left in your bloodstream. Plus, it's a nice way to do something nice for your body after being mean to it with all the drinking.

I wish I had the discipline to do this... maybe I'll try it this weekend.

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger NotCarrie said...

Haha, I'm the same way. It kicks my ass a lot worse now.

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger ridiculous said...

this morning, i reached a new low when i convinced myself that i needed a starbucks venti mocha to cure my very slight white wine headache.

your way definitely would have been kinder to my thighs...

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Dustin said...

you're a bit late discovering this my friend.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home