Downtown-Chic

Life. Men. Alcohol. Shoes.

Tuesday, August 15

30

I adore my girlfriends. I am incredibly lucky to have a network of fun-loving, well-traveled, down-to-earth, beautiful, altruistic, do-anything-for-you friends. But I’ve had enough of their obsessing about turning 30.

My friend, whose 28th birthday is next week, refused to plan a birthday get-together because she was too depressed about turning 30. That’s two years away -- What a terrible excuse to not throw a party!! And as she bemoans the loss of her youth, she forgets I turned 28 earlier this summer….

Another friend, affectionately dubbed “Cougar” recently turned 30. It is impossible to have a conversation with her when she doesn’t reference her age. Up until a couple weeks ago, she would only date older men who have marriage potential, or their “light on”. These were some real characters, none of whom (in my opinion) possessed any long-term potential, short of being over 30. Appropriately enough, she’s now seeing a 25-year-old, who is nicer to her than any of those criteria-meeting older men.

Someone recently mentioned to me that although our bodies go through the physical act of aging, our perception of our “self” doesn’t age as quickly. Which explains why ‘30 is the new 20’ or ‘40 is the new 30’…

Perhaps, next year I'll change my tune about 30, but right now, I'm looking forward to it. My new mantra is that late 20's and early 30's are the greatest years of your life.

7 Comments:

At 2:49 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

ha ha...did she finally accept her 'cougar' status?

:-)

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger pookalu said...

hey. absolutely NOTHING wrong with being 30.

really. well, that year has long passed for me, but i still have some sort of fond memories of it!

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Mummerina said...

I agree with late twenties/early thrities being the prime of your life... I'm only early twnety...and I am looking forward to the next 10 years ahead!!
You've been tagged on my blog...
http://karina028.blogspot.com/2006/08/for-your-information.html
I am curious to see your 10 things becuase you are my alter ego living in NYC. haha!!

 
At 5:19 AM, Blogger Verge Das Neves said...

Im still far from the prime of my life then..still a youngster at 22...but well travelled..haha

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Crazy Girl City said...

Hey now! I just turned 30 in June. I'll admit, I was kind of skeeved out the month prior. I even cried at midnight on my birthday, but a few minutes into the day and I realized I was truly ok with the whole 30 thing. You are only as old as you want to be. 2 weeks after my 30th birthday, I married my 26 year old boyfriend! 2 months after I turned 30, I'm in Spain for a month! Wheeeee! 30 has been great so far.

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Beth said...

You sound like you have a fabulous entourage. ;)

If the whole 30 is the new 20 thing is the case...I have a lot to look forward to. I mean I'm having fun being the age I'm at... but I'm not going to lie, my life isn't too exciting right now.

 
At 1:00 AM, Blogger canadian sadie said...

Much as I loved 21? 35 is seriously rocking the Casbah. Tell all your friends to give it a try... :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home