Downtown-Chic

Life. Men. Alcohol. Shoes.

Wednesday, July 19

Stockpiling

I love when an author's social commentary mirrors what I'm feeling at a particular moment. It is always a surprise when reading and a particular section of the book makes you glance over your shoulder wondering how long the author has been tailing your every move. My current read, The Quality of Life Report by Meghan Daum, is chaulk full of these. My favorite, which I read this morning after a walk-o-shame:

"Given the census data, the seven hundred thousand surplus of single women, two men in one week was less an act of sluttishness than of stockpiling."

There it is - my behavior for the past two weeks completely justified. Two weeks+Three guys = Stockpiling. I've obviously broken my streak (364 days) and am making up for lost time. It is only a matter of time before the seemingly endless oasis of single men evaporates, so I am enjoying it and blogging about it, so when it comes to an end I can remember there was a better time.

This whole scene is making me wonder what my number is. When I was in college I kept a list, that was until my boyfriend found it and read the name after his. (Teach you to read a gal journal!) I'm curious how many gents I'll be able to recall. Perhaps I'll test myself. If I can't recall them, it doesn't count right? This is going to require the assistance of my friends, I'll need to tap there memory to confirm any missing links....

3 Comments:

At 4:49 PM, Blogger t said...

You're on to something with this stockpiling business. Next time you meet with the familar insult oft lobbed at a, ahem, needful lass, just saw "Oh, you're mispronouncing it. It's 'hoarder' you silly goose."

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger Dustin said...

i'm still waiting for you to awknowledge me.
......la la laaa

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Downtown said...

Tote: You are spot on with that response... I am going to need to remember that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home