Downtown-Chic

Life. Men. Alcohol. Shoes.

Monday, June 19

Tan Lines

You'd think I'd have learned by now the benefit of sunscreen while at the beach. But no, each year it is the same painful lesson. Too much sun, not enough sunscreen.

My first day at my Fire Island beach house was a semi-wash. Overcast and cloudy, I spent the day entertaining myself with bike rides around the island, card games and a six-pack of Corona. Sunday I was up at 9am to make the most of the available sun time. In my beach chair, I worshiped the sun for six straight hours. (Judging from my burn today, that was about one hour too long.) YOUCH!

Highlights from the weekend:
  1. So quite unexpectedly, hanging out on the strip of bars on Ocean Beach I ran into a casual acquaintance. Now this gentleman has a girlfriend (protective alias: Sue). When we ran into each other he was with another girl (dirty ho name: Britney). It was so obvious by the way Britney was hanging on him that they were more than just "housemates". Tsk-tsk-tsk... I would never tell Sue about her boyfriend's coniving ways, but I am not above resorting to bribary. He owes me a beer or two.
  2. I operated a grill for the first time. And from the reviews I received, I can cook a hamburger patties and hot dogs pretty darn well. To think for years, I've been asknig guys to do the grilling, cause well, I always figured it was a guy-thing to do. Next time I am going to fire up the grill and show off my skill with the open-range.
  3. While talking to some guy at the bar, he asks me: "So do you ski?" To which I responded, "Of course, I was born in Vermont!" Judging from his blank stare, we were not about to go into a greater discussion of downhill or cross-country skiing...
  4. Playing wingman for your girl who really needs to forget about a crap-ass week and shitty ex-boy can actually be fun.

1 Comments:

At 4:38 AM, Blogger jo said...

i did a lil sun worshipping myself over the weekend. and thankfully i didn't burn. 'coz i usually burn. and this time i couldn't find my sunscreen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home