Downtown-Chic

Life. Men. Alcohol. Shoes.

Monday, May 21

Campaign to a new me....

Eight years out of college and I'm extremely bored with the lack of mental stimulation in my life. While my job offers me ample opportunity to manage crisis -- it isn't rocket science. And to be completely honest, I spend much too much time, working, reading trashy weekly magazines, watching MTV, entertaining friends and drinking wine. I'm starting to feel like my brain is rotting.

So, this weekend I set out on a campaign to change all that.

After a spending three solo hours at the Museum of Modern Art, during which I listened to the audio tour, I began wandering home. In-the-midst of this wandering, I found myself myself leafing though a hard copy book titled, 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die.

I was quite surprised to learn that thanks to my liberal arts education, I've actually knocked a couple hundred of the books off the list.

Considering that I once toyed with the idea of drinking through the full list of bars in the Sheckys' guide, this book is my new challenge. And while securing a NYC library card would probably make this a more affordable venture, this weekend I picked up three books included on the list which I have not read:

~ The Other Boleyn Sister by Philippa Gregory
~
Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray (because watching the movie doesn’t count)
~
The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood

This is an ambitious undertaking, but I can think of no better reason to finally get around to reading The Lord of the Flies, which I've successful adverted throughout my formal education.

*************************************

Addendum: Actually, maybe I should get a library card. According to Gothamist, today a new library just opened in Soho....

6 Comments:

At 4:55 PM, Blogger ridiculous said...

oh, i think you're going to love 'the other boleyn sister'. i couldn't put it down!

 
At 2:13 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

'The Blind Assassin' is a great book! One of my favorites. "Alias Grace" is also a good one.

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

The Blind Assassin is one of my favorite books of all time. Margaret Atwood is addicting, be careful :)

My latest kick is Haruki Murakami, I'd be willing to bet that at least one of his novels is in your book. Check it out when you have some time!

I'm intrigued, I've been living the last decade according to "1,000 Places to See Before You Die" ... I think your book is of equal significance.

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Downtown said...

Manda -- You are correct. Haruki Murakami's "Wind Up Bird Chronicle" is included in the book of must-reads. I've actually already checked that one off of the list. Great book!!

 
At 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy your new reading experience! You'll love all three books..this coming from a self-oreofessed MTV/US magazine addict

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger paintandink said...

Mmmmm... I will have to check this
"1000 books" book out. Maybe literally. Although, I doubt our library has it. I've wanted to read "The Other Boleyn Sister" and I love Margaret Atwood.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home