Downtown-Chic

Life. Men. Alcohol. Shoes.

Friday, December 8

Shopper's Delight

One of my favorite stores on Orchard Street, La Di Da, is closing. I received notice of the storewide 50% yesterday afternoon and headed there straight after work. After putting down my VISA, I’m now the very happy owner of $700 worth of merchandise

- Alice & Olivia jeans ($52, marked down from $170). I have lusted after a pair of Alice and Olivia pants since first reading about how they compliment your figure. I can now attest – it is true! I’m in love. I may never change out of these pants.
- Sheri Rose black halter dress ($110, marked down from $220)

- Rapp and Posavek Ainsley purse ($175, marked down from $385). Unnecessary, but so pretty and soft. Since I’m not getting any Christmas presents. I justify this purchase as a holiday gift to myself.

It makes me incredibly sad to see an independent boutique closing. Once I finish working for “the man” in NYC, I hope to move to a smaller city or a college town, where I can open my own boutique. College towns are a gold mine for this type of store -- mom and dad’s money flows freely, colleges are shoving credit cards at their students, and the endless social engagements (each requiring a new outfit). In the day and age of malls, there is a genuine gap in unique, stylish clothes... I could do this. I could bring style to the masses of Banana Republic, Gap wearing women.


I am beginning to develope a philosophy for what makes a successful store.

PRICES: The store can offer expensive wares, however there needs to be something that is reasonable. This should be something that anyone who walks into your store can afford to purchase. It’s psychological, once you start spending money; you are more inclined to tack on a second purchase. And this affordable item’s “value” is inflated for being sold in your boutique. (Case and point: The blue Tiffany box with the $60 keychain inside. That will be the best key chain ever.)

SIZES: Boutique clothing tends to be very true to size. This I accept. As a size 6, I am a medium, where at a national chain like Banana Republic, I’m a size 4, small. When placing orders for clothing keep this in mind. Order up, or accept that you'll be selling 1/2 of your merchandise on the sale rack to the 6 women in town who fit in a size 2.


PERSONALITY: Perhaps this is the marketing side of me, but the story needs to have personality and presence. It isn't enough to just sell clothes, you need to make the store part of something. Host in-store events, feature local designers, annual back-to-school runway shows... whatever, just do something, anything to give your store personality...

Perhaps in 4 years when I tire of the city's rat race, I'll actually get around to making this a reality.

3 Comments:

At 2:22 PM, Blogger Frankly, Scarlett said...

OOOOOOhhhh I Love boutique-y stores that give you something that's not produced en-masse.

I'd MUCH rather have something unique and pay a lot for it than something everyone else has that I got on sale!

 
At 12:41 AM, Blogger jo said...

i love those boutique stores to. it's a good place to find more unique stuff. i think you've got the marketing done. it would be so cool if you actually did open a store.

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger Well Heeled Blog said...

I love boutiques and really appreciate the clothing being true to size. I'd love to see what kind of shoes you'd stock. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home