Downtown-Chic

Life. Men. Alcohol. Shoes.

Saturday, May 27

On site report -- London

Day two in London and jet lag coupled with 12am bar closings has left me with time to provide a mid-trip blog. I am loving my time in London, there are a thousand things to love about this city, and about just as many annoyances.

Love -- The Oyster Card. Think Metro Card but chic-er with its own carrying case.
Hate -- Having to swipe in AND out of the Tube. Honestly, by the time the ride is over, my wallet has moved the bottom of my bag and I'm not thrilled to turn it out, looking for my wallet just to swipe out.

Love -- Men's Fashion. Love that men here think nothing of wearing a pinstripe suit, or tan loafers. They are as fashionable as they are tall. I've already falled in love multiple times... (Hello to the PorterHouse, post-work crowd. I love you all!)
Hate -- Straight men and gay men are impossible to tell apart. My girls and I spent a good part of this evening eyeing a group of boys, until (at the end of the night) we clued into their obvious gay-ness.

Love -- Pumping a toilet to flush... What's not to love about a water saving measure. The enviroment is precious.
Hate -- "Breaking the seal" after the third beer, which keeps you on a constant bathroom rotation. That wouldn't be so much of a problem if the seal weren't broken mid-afternoon. Drinking is just too easy around here. No one thinks being in a pub at noon is a problem.

I have two days left. Two days of shopping and site seeing. I plan on hitting the shops tomorrow and stocking up on that fabulous London fashion I've been seeing. Two take-aways which I look forward to applying to tomorrow's shop fest.

- Belts can provide the ultimate accessory to any top, dress or pant set
- Americans rely to0 heavily on jeans. Dresses. Lots and lots of dresses are in store.



3 Comments:

At 11:52 AM, Blogger pookalu said...

woo hoo dresses! and everything else.

speaking of everything else (being that i'm on tangents today...):

i actually had to explain "breaking the seal" to a number of non-americans. i guess it's not a universal term.

enjoy the rest of your stay!

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger James said...

"Love -- Men's Fashion. Love that men here think nothing of wearing a pinstripe suit, or tan loafers. They are as fashionable as they are tall. I've already falled in love multiple times... (Hello to the PorterHouse, post-work crowd. I love you all!)"

You should have visited Jermyn street, the home of the bespoke suit/shoe/hat.

I collected my pinstripe suit to-day; don't people do pinstripe in the US?

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger Buffy said...

"Straight men and gay men are impossible to tell apart."

I've always said this about London men. Especially the media crowd.

I love it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home