Downtown-Chic

Life. Men. Alcohol. Shoes.

Friday, April 7

Caught Man-Fishing

When a single girl finds herself in a situation overwhelmingly filled with men, she has the luxury of man-fishing, tossing out casual lines here and there to see if anyone bites.

Celebrating the final weekend of the ski season, the ladies and I were doing it up at the Pickle Barrel in Killington, VT. Making our way through the crowd, we passed a group guys talking in thick Boston accents. I paused to cast a line…

As I poked fun at their accents, one of the guys remarked, “Hey, I know you.” This stopped me in my tracks. Who at this bar, hundreds of miles from my NYC home, would know me?

“You used to go out with [ex-boyfriend].” As his words hit the air, I immediately recognized my ex-boyfriend’s best friend. (This coincidently is the ex who broke my heart last year, the ex who I’m still, against all logic, recovering from.) My brilliant side-kick and witness to the scene, Avenue Elle, swooped in and ushered my stunned self away.

Racked with insecurity, I couldn’t stop wondering: Did I look good? Was my hair frizzy? Was I wearing the right outfit? Was I too drunk? Did I look happy? Successful?

Requiring an immediate confidence boost, I headed to the dance floor to find the guy I had been dancing with earlier. After a quick make out session, my confidence was restored and I could finally view the situation clearly.

The ex is surely going to hear that I was out having a good time, looking good and clearly happy. So what if he hears I’m still single. Being happy and single isn’t a bad thing. Even if he’s found someone new by now, he’ll need to hear that I was happily man-fishing that weekend.

Not bad at all…

5 Comments:

At 12:32 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Don't worry doll...you looked HOT!

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger NotCarrie said...

Oh my gosh! How weird to run into someone so far from home.

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

don't you love it when you run into your ex's bff and you are looking good and feeling confident?! it needs to be one of those "Natural Highs" list. good for you!

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger K said...

I hate having these encounters. They always seem to happen to me when I have the biggest zit or terrible hair (or like the time that I was looking like utter HELL at the gym and an ex sat down on the bike next to me and I had to spend the entire time with an US Weekly hiding my face, though at least he was looking a tad heavier, was in his flip flops to work out and was reading a Wall Street Journal--on a stationary bike. Actually, wait, that made me feel even worse that I went out with such a loser...

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger Adam said...

I had a similar situation a month ago, I ran into an ex's old roommate and had a great time hanging out with her, sans the ex...and I knew everything would get back to her too...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home